Before your IPL treatment
For 4 weeks before treatment
- Do not wax, (unless advised by your clinician), pluck, or undergo electrolysis to remove hair from the treatment area
- You may cut, cream or shave the treatment area, as advised by your clinician
For 1 week before treatment
To avoid skin sensitivity, do not bleach or use depilatory cream in the week before your treatment. You should avoid sunbathing, sun-beds and self-tanning products, as treatments cannot be performed on tanned skin.
- Avoid swimming and vigorous exercise
- Do not use cosmetics on the treatment area
- If you are having a large area treated (eg legs, back), please shave the area, leaving a small patch as directed by your clinician
- Loose, cotton clothing will be more comfortable once your treatment is complete.
After your IPL treatment
For 2 days after treatment
- Avoid sunbathing, sunbeds and self-tanning products
- Avoid saunas and steam rooms
- Baths and showers should be tepid rather than hot
- Avoid vigorous exercise and swimming
- Avoid using perfumed products and make-up on the treated area
- You will find loose, cotton clothing more comfortable
For 1 week after treatment
If your face has been treated, then avoid facials, and any other forms of exfoliation in the treated area.
Important facts to remember while you are undergoing treatment:
- Treatments cannot be performed on tanned skin. A fake tan of any kind has the same implications as a natural tan
- You must use a broad spectrum sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection of SPF30 or higher on the treated area, or as advised by your clinician
- Please arrange your treatment at least one week before a holiday, and allow a minimum of four weeks after your return for any tan to fade. Please advise us if your tan has not faded as we will not be able to treat you and we will happily rearrange your next appointment
- Please allow at least one week after a local anaesthetic and at least one month after a general anaesthetic, before continuing with treatment. Your clinician can advise you accordingly
Please advise us of any change in medication well in advance of your treatment day.